Since opening its doors in Cookstown on 20th May 1999, the supermarket has really made its mark on Northern Ireland boasting 36 stores (and counting!) in key cities and towns across the province and working with over 35 local suppliers.
Shoppers are urged to join the party by visiting the Lidl Northern Ireland Facebook page, Facebook.com/LidlNI where each day, for 15 days there will be a host of prizes to be won including top hotel stays, shopping vouchers, family day trips and much more. To mark its 15 years, Lidl has shared 15 surprise facts about Northern Ireland shoppers, the top five include:
- Northern Ireland prefers coffee to tea – Lidl has recorded sales of over quarter of a million units of coffee since 2013.
- Custard Creams are Northern Ireland’s favourite biscuit.
- Jam filled doughnuts from Lidl’s in-store bakery have sold more units than 9,000 other items since the start of 2013 – including popular non-food and promotional ranges!
- Northern Ireland is a nation of dog lovers – dog food outsells cat food by 250%.
- Lidl has sold more than twice as many bananas compared to any other fruit or vegetable item.
Marking the 15 year milestone, Paul Gibson, Sales Operations Executive, Lidl Northern Ireland, said, “We are delighted to be recognised as a trusted local retailer and will continue to build on and grow this trust with Northern Ireland shoppers for the next 15 years and far beyond. While this is a great celebration for Lidl, we also want to take the opportunity to thank Northern Ireland shoppers for choosing Lidl. “We are continuing to develop the shopping experience at Lidl and due to popular demand invested in the roll-out of in-store bakeries across all stores. It’s an exciting time for us with new store openings and modernisations also on the horizon, so in many ways the Lidl story is only just beginning.”